By Kemo Cham
Guinea’s deposed former President Alpha Conde faces more woes as the junta that ousted him is seeking more serious charges
The Justice Minister in the military led transition administration announced on Monday that he was initiating an investigation into treason charges.
Justice Minister Alphonse Charles Wright, said that the probe will look into “alleged acts of treason, criminal conspiracy and complicity in the illicit possession of arms and ammunition.” The charges were contained in a letter addressed to the country’s public prosecutor.
Conde, the first democratically elected leader of the Guinea, was removed by the military in September 2021 amid allegation of corruption and maladministration.
The coup led by Colonel Mamady Doumbouya, who has been in charge of the Mano River Basin nation since then, came as the nation descended into political crisis over Conde’s decision to change the constitution to extend his stay in power beyond two terms.
Several prodemocracy protests sparked by the decision led to the death of dozens of Guineans.
Conde is already facing investigation over that, with allegations of murder, torture, kidnapping, rape and corruption.
Conde has been living in exile in Turkiye since his ouster. He spent a brief period in the UAE where he under treatment for an undisclosed medical condition.
The former president is accused to be working in his alleged plot in concert with a popular blogger thought to be his supporter.
“It has been brought to the attention of the Keeper of the Seals (…) that Alpha Condé, in association with Mr Fodé Moussa Mara, has taken steps to obtain arms, ammunition and related materials”, said Mr Wright in the letter to the prosecutor.
The military rulers are under pressure to transition the country back to civilian rule, and they have promised to do so by 2026, under an agreement with the region bloc – ECOWAS.